Purchasing a kiln might seem overwhelming at first, but the team at Olympic Kilns provides all of the information and support you need from start to finish. Follow the steps below and you’ll be firing up your new kiln in no time!
Choosing a Kiln Model
Before all else, do some research to determine which model kiln is best for you. In order to make that decision, consider these three important factors:
- The dimensions (width and height) of the pieces you plan to fire
- The temperature range needed for those pieces
- The type of power and electrical wiring that is available where you plan on putting your kiln
With these three things in mind, browse our electric, gas and glass firing kilns. You can also find a variety of kilns in our catalogues, which list complete pricing and size information. If you’re not sure which catalog to start with, take a look at the comprehensive price list for detailed specifications on all types of kilns.
If you would like help choosing the right kiln, be sure to call us at 770-967-4009.
Purchasing a Kiln
Once you have decided which kiln is best for you, you can order it directly from our online store. Select the kiln you would like and choose any accessories or additional options. From there you can add the customized kiln to your cart and complete the checkout process. Alternatively, you can contact an Olympic Kilns dealer found on the Distributors page.
Fill out the warranty registration form to apply for a warranty on your kiln.
Receiving your Kiln
Olympic Kilns packages shipments so that they will not be damaged during delivery. The carrier is responsible for getting the kiln to you, but not for unloading it and transporting it to its intended destination.
If you order a large kiln that requires a loading dock and/or forklift, ensure that you have access to the required equipment. If you do not have access to a forklift or other tools needed to unload the kiln, contact a local moving company to assist you.
For more details on receiving your kiln, read our receiving guide.
Locating and Installing your Kiln
For installation instructions for your specific model, choose your kiln model and click “More Info.” You can also read more about installing electric kilns, updraft gas kilns and downdraft gas kilns via our onsite resources.
Though each model will vary, there are some general rules you should follow when installing your kiln:
- Check the dimensions of entryways to ensure that the kiln can fit into the room. If not, contact us to see if we can make modifications to the kiln before it is ordered and built.
- Allow enough space between the wall and your kiln to walk around it in case maintenance is required.
- Remove all flammable materials such as curtains, plastics, etc. from the area around the kiln.
- Ensure there is proper ventilation. Gas kilns in confined areas need an exhaust hood vented to the outside of the building.
- If the kiln is outside, keep it under a roof and/or water-resistant tarp to keep moisture from the kiln.
- Use sheet metal or non-flammable material to shim the legs when leveling the kiln.
- Place the kiln on a concrete floor to avoid heat damage.
Operating and Maintaining your Kiln
The Olympic Kilns website has a wealth of resources available to kiln owners. Read through the operating manual that corresponds to your kiln to confirm that you fire safely and correctly. If you experience issues with your kiln, contact a trusted repair technician.
If you have any questions throughout the process, we will be happy to help. Contact us or call us at 770-967-4009.